Saturday, January 29, 2022

Hotel Gothic #2: Room 35

     I don't like room 35. 


    I have only been in the room once, 2 days ago, and it was not a pleasant experience. It's one of the smallest rooms (non of them are the same) with only a double bed that takes up most of the rooms space and a small dresser. There is a tiny bathroom with only a toilet and sink, and a small closet, both on the right side on the room. Above the bed is a painting of two cherub like angles who's eyes both look up directly at a crawl space door, high up on the left wall. There is a second crawl space door in the bathroom that is low to the floor.

    From the moment I stepped into this room i had a bad vibe. I told myself I was being silly, it was for the most part a very cute room, with nice bright bed spreads and had decent lighting compared to some of the other rooms. However I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. I worked at a slow and anxious pace, constantly checking around me for no reason. I was profusely uncomfortable and I couldn't explain why. It wasn't until I moved over to the left side of the bed that I saw the shape in the closet. Something small, like a child just sitting there holding its legs to its chest, it's face never quit in view, but it's skin was pale and it's veins popped out bright blue. Again this room was tiny and it was so close to me. I couldn't breath, but I knew I couldn't just leave the room unfinished. I tried to ignore it, and worked as fast as I could with out turning my back to the closet. The figure moved and shifted around every time I glanced up and the anxiety weld up in my chest heavier and heavier. 

    At one moment, I looked away from the closet completely without thinking about it. When I glanced back I thought I was alone because the figure was gone. I only had to tuck the sheet new sheets onto the bed and throw the comforter on and I could go. Even though I was sure I was alone, the feeling of being watched didn't go away. I looked up to do one more check around me and a head popped into to the room from the hallway and I jumped out of my skin. It was pale with dark eye's and shot back through the door frame when I jumped. I didn't hear any foot steps, through the paper thin walls and in true '"Horror movie girl" fashion, i stepped out into the hall just to be sure i hadn't accidentally scared a guests kid. There was no one in sight. I had had enough and threw the comforter on the bed before rushing back down stairs. 

    I found one of my coworkers and asked her if there was anything weird about room 35, to which she laughed and recited my own experience back to me, before i even told her what happened. Apparently room 35 is one of the worst in the building and no one wanted to tell me before i went in, because A) they all like to have their own experiences validated by the new employees because it makes everyone feel less crazy and B) they didn't want to do it themselves, and C) because they thought it would be funny. 

    As i was walking passed the door at the end of my shift i glanced back at it once and when i was only a few steps passed it, i heard heavy footsteps running at me from behind and my gut reaction was to take f running and i almost fell down the stairs. When i caught myself on the rail i looked back up the stairs but no one was up there. I checked with the front desk one last time before leaving. None of the guests who had bought rooms for that night had arrived yet, and i walked passed my all my co-workers on my way out the back doors. 


    All in all it had been an interesting work day. So far that was the only time I've felt scared at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Poem: Brave

  Text for screen readers   title:  Brave I wish i was brave I wish words didn't barb my throat I wish they didn't scratch and scrap...